Bacon & Split Pea Soup
Hearty and delicious, enjoy for lunch or dinner. Perfect to make in large batch and freeze.
- Serves 6
- 1 Hour 10 Mins (soak peas overnight)
- 100g Buchanans split peas
- 1 small turnip (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 2 leeks (sliced)
- 8 rashers rindless smoked streaky bacon (diced)
- 1.4 litres ham or chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 150ml single cream
- 1 tablespoon chooped parsley to garnish
- Cover the split peas with cold water and soak them overnight. Drain well.
- Place carrots, turnip and leeks into a pot and add a little of the stock and cook on high for 10mins.
- Add split peas, bacon, mixed herbs and rest of stock. Simmer for 1 hour
- Blend the soup in a liquidiser until smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and reheat over a low heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Slowly stir in the cream.
- Pour into individual soup bowls and garnish each serving with chopped parsley.