Bacon & Split Pea Soup
This split pea soup is hearty and delicious, enjoy for lunch or dinner.
- Serves 6
- 1 Hour 10 Mins (soak peas overnight)
- 100g Buchanans split peas
- 1 small turnip
- 1 carrot
- 2 leeks
- 8 rashers rindless smoked streaky bacon, diced
- 1.4 litres ham or chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 150ml single cream
- 1 tablespoon chooped parsley to garnish
- Cover the split peas with cold water and soak them overnight. Drain well.
- Dice the turnip and carrot. Slice the leeks into rings.
- Cook vegetables in a pan for 5 minutes, add the bacon and continue cooking for a few minutes. Add the stock and split peas.
- Season well including the mixed herbs. Simmer gently for an hour.
- Blend the soup in a liquidiser until smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and reheat over a low heat. Stir in the cream.
- Pour into individual soup bowls and garnish each serving with chopped parsley.