Easy to make and delicious served smothered in jam and cream.
- Serves 10
- 25 mins
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp Buchanans baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp Buchanans baking soda
- 85g butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 100g Buchanans sultanas
- 175ml milk
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- beaten egg to glaze
- Heat oven to 220C/200C. Put flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl and mix. Add butter and rub in with your fingers until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Put the milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for about 30 secs until warm (but not hot). Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Put a baking sheet in the oven to heat.
- Make a well in the centre of dry mix and add the liquid and sultanas and mix until it resembles a dough (you may need to add a little more flour if too wet).
- Scatter some flour onto the work surface and place dough mixture on it. Fold the dough over 2-3 times then pat into a round shape and roll out gently until about 4 cms in height.
- Using 5cm pastry cutters, carefully cut each scone out. Place scones onto the hot baking tray and brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Place tray in oven and bake for 10 mins until risen and golden on the top. Allow to cool on a wire tray.