Pecan Extra Pie
A traditional pecan pie with some added extra nuts for a truly festive desert.
- Serves 12 slices
- 1hr including prep
- 350g mixed nuts (Buchanans Pecans, Buchanans Mixed Nuts)
- 225g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 120g vegetable oil
- 140g golden syrup
- 60ml full fat milk
- 90g soft butter
- 190g soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350ºF.
- Get a large bowl and mix the flour, salt, oil and milk to form dough.
- Use a 25cm flan dish and roll the dough out to cover the base and sides of the flan dish, slightly coming over the top if possible and place into the freezer.
- Melt the syrup, butter and brown sugar over a low heat in a saucepan.
- Add the vanilla and stir, then take off the heat and let it stand for around 10 minutes until slightly cooled.
- Take the pastry-lined flan dish out of the freezer, and arrange the nuts on it.
- Whisk the eggs into the slightly cooled sugary syrup until it looks a caramel colour then pour it over the nuts.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the filling has set and the pastry is golden.