Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup
Warming vegetarian soup that is perfect for those chilly days. Perfect to make in large batch and freeze.
- Serves 4
- 40 mins (plus overnight soak for chickpeas)
- 200g Buchanans chickpeas
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 red onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 100g Buchanans split red lentils (rinsed well)
- 850 ml vegetable stock
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 stick celery
- 1 ½ tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 4 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- Small bunch of coriander chopped
- Soak the chickpeas overnight. Then simmer in fresh water for 1 hour, until tender.
- Heat a large saucepan and add the oil, ground cumin, chilli powder, ginger and onion, cook for 5 mins.
- Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have softened.
- Add the chickpeas and simmer for further 15 mins.
- Season and stir in chopped corriander.
- Serve with a spoonful of greek yoghurt stirred in.