Red Lentil and Chickpea Soup
Warming and budget-friendly vegetarian soup that is perfect packed in a flask for lunch. It's also easy to double the quantities and freeze half for later.
- Serves 4
- 40 mins
- 100g Buchanans split red lentils, rinsed
- 200g Buchanans chickpeas
- 1 ½ tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Small bunch of coriander chopped
- 2 red onions finely chopped
- 1 stick celery
- 850 ml vegetable stock
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- Soak the chickpeas overnight. Then simmer in fresh water for 1 hour, until tender.
- Heat a large saucepan and Add the oil, ground cumin, chilli powder and onion, cook for 5 mins.
- Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have softened.
- Blend the mixture in a liquidiser or food processor until smooth.
- Pour back in the pan and add the chickpeas, heat gently.
- Season and stir in chopped corriander.
- Serve with a spoonful of greek yoghurt stirred in.